Thursday, March 15, 2007
I'm too tired to think of a title.
Yesterday Aeralyn had her six month well check. She weighed 16lbs 1.5oz and was 25 inches long. She is still in the 50th percentile for everything, so about as average as it gets. She had her last round of shots until she is a year old, thank goodness. Istead of her ususal reaction of crying hysterically when the nurse sticks her with the needle, she decided to hold her breath. And then she turned blue and almost passed out, scaring the heck out of both me and the nurse. Then when I picked her up, she was having a hard time catching her breath. Talk about freaking me out! I wouldn't have been as worried if the nurse wasn't having a mini panic attack about the situation. She kept exclaiming that she had never seen a baby act like that before, and asking me if that was normal for her. Well, no, it was not anything close to her normal reaction. So the nurse ran out to get the doctor, and they decided to give her some Benadryl just incase it was a reaction to the shots. She calmed down pretty quickly, and all was well. She slept off her Benadryl hangover for 3 hours when we got home and was back to her cheerful self when she got up.

But last night was a different story. I put her to bed around 9pm, as usual. She was due for another dose of Tylenol at 12am, so I knew that she would be up around that time anyway. I planned on giving her the dose when she woke up so we could hopefully keep the fever that she always gets after shots away.

I'm assuming she woke up at her normal time, between 12am and 2am, but I have absolutely no recollection of getting out of bed, turning off the monitor, walking down the hall to get her and bringing her back to bed with me. I know I did becuase she woke up again at 5:30am, in bed with me. I touched her arm to bring her closer to me so she could nurse, and I noticed that she was burning up. I looked at the clock and noticed it was 5:30am and I was so confused for the few minutes it took me to come out of my sleepy fog. How in the heck did she get in bed with me?

I took her temperature and it was 102.3. Poor baby! After I dosed her with Tylenol, it only took a little over an hour for the fever to break. We went back to sleep around 7:30 this morning, and slept until almost 10am. Now my day is completely thrown out of whack because we slept 2 hours later than usual.

Thankfully she seems to be fine today. Right now she is on the floor in front of me, up on all fours, rocking back and forth. She is trying so hard to figure out this crawling thing, and I am terrified. I keep looking around the house at all the things I need to get rid of before she gets mobile. I need some baby proofing tips. I know the obvious....outlet covers, cabinet and toilet locks, and putting the chemicals out of reach. Is there anything else I need to know about baby proofing? What did your little ones get into costantly when they first got mobile? Help a sleep deprived first time mom out!

Labels: ,



4 Comments:

Blogger Alicia said...

Oh, honey, I will give you more help then you'd probably want in just over a week. We can set Kyra loose in the house and you can see just what it is Aeralyn is going to find. As for the basics, be prepared that any books, cd's, and dvd's you have at her level will promptly be used as her own personal entertainment.

What a reaction to her shots! I don't know what I'd do if Kyra ever had to do that! Its good to hear she's feeling better today.

Blogger Heather said...

Hey, that actually might help LOL! I've already fixed the DVD problem. I came into the living room the other day after I left her on the floor for a minute to go put a load of laundry on, and she had scooted over to where the DVD's were and was pulling them all off the shelf. I moved them all and put a basket full of her toys there instead.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I'm late, but I'm commenting anyway :p

When Kira first got motoring on her own, she went for computer cables. Loved them. I was forever putting things out of her reach (til she could stand and reach but that's neither here nor there).

I never bothered babyproofing my house either, per se. I gated off the kitchen and we got outlet covers, but that was it. She never bothered with anything else and to this day she isn't interested in outlets at ALL. She's so much more interested in my dvds now. LOL.

So yeah, cables cables and more cables this girl was into. Be warned if you have any! ;)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay Heather, After 25 years of this I'm going to agree with the getting on her level thing as that is what the "experts" say to do. Anything dangerous like chemicals, light sockets and if you are not into messes, the pet food/ water. She also needs to start learning at this age "no" so dvd's aren't as bad as glass collectables. Leave some things down you can take away, put back and just tell her "no" over and over. She'll learn. Also, most importantly, be prepared, you will never get everything out of her way. Her little eyes will see SOMETHING you can't see. Trust me! Love y'all Barbara

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer