Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Alright, I'll tell you.
I thought I would be able to get away with just telling you that I broke a tooth, got it pulled, and that was that. But apparently, you want to know more. I've already told this story to Alicia, and since she got a good laugh out of it, I will tell you too so you all can laugh with her. Except for maybe you're not that cruel, and for that I thank you.

It's all my own stupid fault that I broke a tooth, so really, you can laugh. Maybe I'll laugh one day too, but definitely not right now. I think it is safe to say that I have learned my lesson.

Almost two years ago, my wisdom teeth started bothering me. I went in for a consultation with an oral surgeon, and he decided that I needed to get them removed. Well, I didn't exactly have the $1,000 it takes to get them removed, so I didn't get it done.

When I was about three months pregnant with Aeralyn, my right wisdom tooth started coming in full force. It broke the skin, and also smashed my teeth together and consequently, broke one of my molars. It was only a small piece, and instead of going to get it fixed, I decided I would just take really good care of it and it wouldn't get a cavity. Are you laughing at my naievity? So did the dentist.

Here I am, almost a year later, and the tooth really started killing me. I will tell you this, it was the most intense pain that I have ever felt in my life. And need I remind you that my stomach was cut wide open in order to get a nearly 8lb baby out? Alrighty then.

I made an appointment with the dentist to get it filled. I honestly thought I would be able to go in there and just get it filled and be on my merry way. As you can see, I do not have much experience with dental matters. Please stop laughing, it really isn't nice.

The dentist took one look at it and said I would need a root canal. Also, please hand over $800 up front, and just for grins, throw in your left pinky toe and your first born child. Yep, that should cover it. Or, we could just pull it for the low low cost of $93.

Here I sit, drugged, broke, and snaggle-toothed. But there is some good news! Now my wisdom tooth has room to fit, and I'm hoping that it will just come right on in and close up the gaping hole that I now have in my mouth.

Hey, let me just live in my drug induced fantasy land for now. As soon as the health insurance kicks in, I will get the wisdom teeth removed. I promise. And then, like Alicia said, Aaron can take care of me, Aeralyn, and the house.

Could you please stop laughing already?

Labels: ,



6 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

When I first read that you had a broken a tooth, I of course assumed that it had recently (meaning yesterday-ish) been broken, and I assumed that it was one of your front teeth.

And then I read that it was pulled, so in my mind I imagined you with a huge gaping hole right in the middle of your otherwise beautiful smile :)

So I'm glad it was one of the back teeth. :D

Blogger Heather said...

I know, I did make it sound like it was just broken yesterday. Oops! But rest assured, if it had been a front tooth, I would have been carging up a $800 bill on my credit card before I let it get pulled. There is no way I would let them pull a front tooth!

Blogger Alicia said...

Wow, do I sound mean or what?

I'm sorry I giggled a bit at your misfortune. I'm such a horrible person.

But Lindsey is right, i thought it was something you did yesterday. And at least I blamed it on Aeraly at first.

Blogger Heather said...

Don't feel bad for laughing! I would have laughed too. You are definitely not a horrible person.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I was going to have to have a molar yanked because it was rather unpleasant back there. My dentist (instead) gutted it and filled it, and when I asked him why not just pull it, he looked at me said, "Why pull a tooth when you need it pulled?" LOL I guess! Anyway so my whole point here is that I'd much rather go through a yanking than a root canal ANY day. And besides, if it WAS a front pearlie, you could always have "grillz" installed instead. ;)

Anonymous Lori Weber said...

Great reead

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer