Tuesday, December 19, 2006
In Which I Learn That Pilates is not for Me.
Did I tell you all that I joined the gym? I think I forgot to mention that little tid-bit of information, but HI! I joined the gym! You all should be very proud of me except that, well...I haven't actually gone yet. YET!! I was planning on going tonight for a pilates class, and then I got to thinking: Hmmm...what exactly is pilates? I figured the internet might know, so I googled Pilates. Well, let me just tell you that it's a good thing I did that! I'm pretty sure I would not be cut-out for all that crazy business. I think that maybe pilates is for people who are of the smallish variety, and I don't know if you noticed, but I am not of that particular variety. I do realize that this would have been a much better entry if I had just gone to the class not knowing what I was getting myself in to, but I am seriously glad that DID NOT HAPPEN! I think I might have been a little embarrassed in front of all the smallish pilates ladies. I'll stick to fat-burning classes like Cardio dance, because I got lots of fat to burn! That will be on Thursday, so stay tuned to see how that turns out.

Labels: , ,



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found you through Playgroup Dropout. And actually, Blogger wasn't working last night, so I emailed Beth for your email address, but when I went to email you this morning, Blogger was working. Go figure. :o)

Anyway - I got Winsor Pilates which I did, at home, by myself, without an audience. It took about 6 times before I could actually do what they were doing and not look like an idiot, but rest assured, everything is adaptable to beginners. And after awhile, it can be fun.

I say it can be fun, but the moves remain odd to me - very complicated and not at all any "normal" way I'd ever twist my body.

I used to go to the gym, but now I alternate The Firm strength training and Walk Away the Pounds tapes in my garage. I get all of the same benefits that I was getting from the gym, but I can do it at home. And it's cheaper.

Love your blog, by the way. :o)

Blogger Lindsey said...

Pilates seems more like a stretching type of exercise, right?

I saw this on TV a few months ago: http://www.exercisewithmommy.com/

Blogger Heather said...

Emily: Thanks for stopping by! Doing some pilates in the privacy of my own home sounds like a great idea. I think I need to do that, and then maybe I can go into the class looking like a pro =)

Lindsey: I think you're right. From what I understand, pilates concentrates on strengthening your "core" which is your abs and such and improving your posture. I'm all for that, but later on when I'm actually in shape. I need to worry about getting in shape and burning all this extra weight off first.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer