Monday, January 08, 2007
"First I was afraid, I was petrified..."
Let me just start by saying this: I don't do babies.

That is, I didn't do babies until I had one of my own.

I've been around kids all my life, and I've always known I wanted one of my own. But, Ive never really interacted much with babies. Once they are toddlers, kids are great and I'm good with them. Throw me a toddler who's pitching a royal fit over a toy being taken away or some other toddler travesty, and I'll handle it with ease and grace. Give me a school age child with an attitude the size of Texas, and I'll handle that just fine too. But give me a baby who is crying uncontrollably for some unknown reason, and I'll hand it back to it's mommy quicker than you can blink. But now? I'm the mommy that everyone hands the screaming baby to. And it honestly? FREAKS ME OUT!

I'm getting better about handling Aeralyn's crying fits, but it has not been an easy road getting to where I am today. Especially when I have a husband who knows absolutely nothing about babies and constantly looks at me in horror when she is crying and says "What in the world is wrong with her?" That question usually doesn't smooth the situation over really well, because obviously I don't know what is wrong with her or I might FIX IT! This is also coming from the man who would get a look of sheer terror on his face when newborn Aeralyn would sneeze, cough, burp, fart, yawn, grunt, etc. He honestly had no idea that babies "did all that stuff" and wow! "They're like little humans!"

He doesn't get out much.

But anyway, this was supposed to be about me conquering one of my biggest fears. Sometimes I lose my focus. I'll bet you might have noticed that already. Look! A ladybug!

I can handle the crying fits at home pretty easily, but in public? That is a whole different story my friend. Last Wednesday, I ventured out for the first time with Aeralyn by myself. Need I remind you that she is four months old?

Now, I've taken her to the pediatrician plenty of times alone, but I don't really count that as a public place since there are a number of other screaming children there at any given time, and it's pretty much acceptable. But everywhere else I went, I had my husband or mother-in-law in tow for backup support incase of a major baby meltdown. I was so afraid I wouldn't know what to do if I was by myself with her in a public place and she went into hysterics.

Her and I ventured out to Wal-Mart, and it was great! She didn't cry one time and neither did I. But if she had, it would have been fine. I've finally come to terms with the fact that babies cry sometimes, and that's okay. Life will go on! People might give me "the look" - you know the one that says "geez get your kid under control!", but that's fine too. And I've also realized that most of the time, that isn't what "the look" means anyway. It means, more often than not I'm convinced, that "I sure am glad it's you and not me!"

Labels: ,



3 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

Yay! Way to go Aeralyn! And way to go Heather!

As someone who does not have children, I can safely say that when I give "the look" it DOES mean "Geez! Get your kid under control!"

Blogger Alicia said...

I'm so proud of you! I was in your same shoes exactly one year ago. The feeling that you're finally getting the hang of this whole mommy gig is fabulous!

Some one told me once that when the day does come, that she's screaming bloody, and you're day can't possibly get any worse, to just breathe. She has no other way to catch your attention then to sceam. And you? You have no other way to calm her down then to just breathe yourself. This was, hands down, the best mothering advice I ever got from anyone.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait until she screams across the whole store "come on Mama and don't you steal nothing either" like I did Grandma. It's a wonder I'm still alive today. My child wouldn't have been :) Oh, the joys of motherhood! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it will get worse. I also remember some little blonde giving Grandma a hard time in the store while she had your mama and a 2 year old with her. It's a wonder you ever got groceries. And , do you remember Jennifer and her " where's your man at?"

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer