Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Couldn't we all just wear dentures instead?
Once again I am being bothered by teeth. Except this time, it's not my teeth, it's Aeralyn's. Or atleast that is what I'm assuming considering my usually happy, giggly baby has turned into a screaming devil of a baby.

Last night we were up crying every hour on the hour. Yes, I meant both of us incase you were wondering. And it's almost 2pm, and she is just now taking her first nap of the day. I checked her temperature earlier and it was 100.1. Well, that is pretty much a fever as far as I'm concerned, so I called the pediatrician's office.

Me: "Yes, my 5 month old daughter is running a low grade fever and she has been really fussy all day. I gave her a dose of Tylenol, but I wanted to call and see if there is anything else I need to do."

Nurse: "What is the baby's fever?"

Me: "It's 100.1"

Nurse: "M'am, we don't consider that a fever."

::::::::crickets:::::::::

Me: "Well, could you please tell me what you consider a fever so that I will know when to be worried? I'm a first time mom, so I'm not really sure about all this stuff."

Nurse: "Ummm, give us a call back if it gets above 101. You can give her some Tylenol cold and cough if you want to."

Me: "She's doesn't have any cold symptoms, just a fever and crakiness..."

Nurse: "She's probably teething."

Did I mention anything about cold symptoms in that conversation anywhere? No? I didn't think so.

I'm not sure if she's actually teething, but it sounds like a pretty good explanation for the fever, crankiness, and biting that has been going on lately. I'm really not looking forward to the teeth at all. She already bites me on a daily basis, and it hurts bad enough now that I don't even want to think about adding teeth to this issue.

Word to the wise: Don't bite the boob that feeds you.

So, y'all please be thinking about us over here. And pray that the teeth come in quickly so that my poor baby will feel better soon. Also, please pray for my nipples. I'm pretty attached to them, so I'd like to keep them pain free and intact.

Labels: , , ,



5 Comments:

Blogger Alicia said...

Prayers for her teeth and your nipples have both been said. Although I think God my be laughing at me for praying for your nipples..?

Sounds like teething to me. A great piece of advice someone gave to me, give her a damp wash cloth. Aside from her hand, this was the best teething tool for Kyra.

And from a medical stand point, doctors don't care about any fever until the baby hits 105. Seriously. Sounds high, and if you had that temperature you'd be having seizures, but a baby can take up to 106 without fear of any damage. Kyra had a temp of 104, I freaked, called the doctor who told me to give her ibuprofen every 6 hours. Big help those people were. But I looked it up and did some research, turns out those docs know what their talking about.

Do your research, find out different ways to ease her pressure and pain. Hopefully you'll find what works best for her. And soon.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i personally do not have a kid but i do have 6 neices and nephews and they all started teething at about the age Aeralyn is now if that helps any! i acually had a kid in daycare when i worked there that was born with teeth, ouch .

hope your day goes better!
~Tara

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the little munchkin is teething. :) Kira's temp never fluctuated when she started but by god the crankies!! (It just gets worse, particularly when the molars start cutting thru)

A really good "symptom" to watch for is ear pulling too. Kira used to pull down on her ears or sometimes grind the palm of her hand into the side of her head when the pains got really sharp and bad. These days she now attempts to shove things INTO her ears to stop the pain... :\

Lots of nipple-prayers for you!! :D

Blogger Mrs. DeVoe said...

my brother use to always teeth on barbie doll legs, not the plastic ones but the rubber ones and it worked great. And yeah like Alicia said they aren't worried about a fever unless it is about 104 but certainly call them if it gets to 102, that means there is a virus is starting. Keep doing the tyenol and motrin, alternating every four hours! But you will get through it. My sister is going through the same thing with tanner! I will pray....not sure about the nipples though :)

Blogger Beverly said...

Oh the poor teething baby!

It seems that 100 should be a fever? Doesn't it? I know that I feel miserable if I have a "fever" of 100, so for goodness sakes she must really feel bad...So, maybe just a little tylenol and some extra TLC for a while will help your sweet girl through this rough patch!

No teething ideas from me...my kids all seemed to teeth easily.
(Thank goodness!)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer