Sunday, May 27, 2007
To Publish, or Not to Publish....
Have you ever had a blog entry come to you at 4am on a Sunday morning? And you knew that if you didn't get up right thatveryminute and get it all down that you would a.) forget most of it by morning and b.) be too busy pulling your child away from the dog food for the eleventy-millionth time to put down what you wanted to say. So, I think that sufficiently explains why I am up at 4:30am writing a blog post.

I'm here because I want to ask all of you lovely people a question. How many drafts do you have saved in your drafts folder that you wouldn't dare of ever publishing? Or is it just me that has about 976 of them?

Sometimes, the publish button can be a scary thing. Other times, that button is completely out of the question all together. I know there are alot of anonymous bloggers out there that keep themselves anonymous so they can say anything they want about anybody without worrying if they will find their blog. There are others who don't keep themselves anonymous, but they don't tell their friends and family about their blog. I can only imagine that they hope and pray every single day that their family and friends don't find their blog so they won't find out what is being said about them.

I am neither of those types of bloggers. My whole family knows about this blog, as well as all of my friends. Not all of them visit or comment, but they all know about it nonetheless. I like that because I obviously started this blog to keep track of things that are going on with our family, and I like to be able to share these things with famiy members that we don't get to see very often.

Ultimately, this blog has replaced my paper journals that I have always kept. This is a faster, more efficient way of getting my thoughts out, except for one little problem: the publish button.

I know it may sound bad, but I can't publish half of what I write here without worrying about who will read it. Because, you guessed it, I've probably written about you a time or two. When I get mad, I write. When someone hurts my feelings, I write. When I feel sorry for you, I write. When I wish I could tell you to go to hell, I write. When I want to say something to you but I know I could never say it to your face, I write.

I think you get the picture.

I never post these entries because they could really hurt some feelings or embarrass the people that I'm writing about. But sometimes, it's a really good entry. You know the ones that show alot about who I am, or the ones that I laugh about the whole time I'm writing them. But I just can't publish it.

Even though Aaron doesn't come to this website, and probably never will, I try to be careful about what I post on here. Especially when it comes to our marriage. I wouldn't want him writing things about me for the world to see, so I don't do that to him either. Even when we have an arguement (which we don't because we're perfect) (relax, I'm kidding) (but seriously, we are pretty perfect) (I know, enough with the parentheses), even when we are going through financial troubles, even when I know I could post something about us that y'all could totally relate to or could give me advice about, I don't do it.

So, is it just me? Maybe I should go back to keeping my thoughts on paper so I wouldn't have this overwhelming urge to push the publish button. Then I have this reacurring nightmare that someone hacks into my blogger account and publishes everything in my drafts folder for the world to see. No, I'm not kidding, I really have had that nightmare before. I guess it's kind of like a new age spin on the going to school/work naked dream. Or something like that.

Anyway, I think it's about time that I get back to bed. Everyone have a happy Sunday!



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have quite a few drafted as well. Most times I hit publish and then an hour later, change it back to "drafted". Sometimes it's because what I've written could be done over/better, and sometimes it's because I think I'll most likely offend someone when that probably isn't what I intended to do.

All of my family knows about my blog (my in laws do not) and a few others do too. I don't have many friends but the ones I do have know about it and read it frequently even if they never comment.

My beloved knows of my site but never visits it. Some days I would love to just vent about him on there, or our relationship, however I refrain because if he found it and read it, he'd be upset and then I'd get upset and it's just not a fun time then. LOL. I do find, unfortunately, that I censor myself alot more than I'd like to and have thought about going completely anonymous just so I don't have to. But that would mean ripping down my site altogether and leaving behind all the fabulous people who drop by and I can't do that.

And this is long winded enough to become a blog post all on its own. LOL. Basically? You're not alone in the drafting department. ;)

Blogger Beverly said...

I'm very guarded about what I write. I thought about writing in another blog...then I realized that everyone would be able to read the other blog through my profile. So, I'm very guarded.

I didn't even think about writing and then saving as a draft. How clever!

Blogger Marz said...

I have been really debating on starting an annonymous blog and have decided to do it, just haven't done it yet.
There is so much I want to say but can't a lot of times because my family does read my blog.
I have, in past, published something & then deleted it within 10 minutes of publishing.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer