Monday, May 21, 2007
Somebody Stop Me
Alright y'all, I have somewhat of an embarrassing confession to make. I know, you're probably not the least bit surprised considering this entire blog is pretty much one big display of embarrassing things for me (with a few pictures of my kid mixed in for variety, of course). But trust me, you're going to think of me a little differently after this one. And I'm sure there will be some dramatic eye rolling on your part.

Are you ready for the confession now? Okay, here it goes:


I am becoming all consumed with planning Aeralyn's first birthday party. Yes, I realize that her birthday isn't until the first of September, but do you realize that that is only a mere 102 days away!!

Do you see what I mean?

When I was my former, childless self, I remember thinking how ridiculous it was for parents to throw huge first birthday parties. The child isn't going to remember the party anyway right? Of course not, but now I see it from a completely different perspective. She won't remember the party, but she will see the pictures and hear the stories for the rest of her life. Granted, she may not inherit my sentimental genes, and she may grow up not giving one flying flip whether or not I gave her a first birthday party. But, there's always that chance that she will care, so I'm going to do it right. And really? I care, so that's all that matters.

Now, don't be too scared over there. I'm not planning on renting a circus to come to our house complete with pony rides and balloon animal making clowns. Even I'm not that crazy and out of control. But just to give you a hint of how crazy I might be, I'll tell you this: I saw a preview of the Martha Stewart show a couple of weeks ago, and it mentioned something about making party decorations for your child's birthday party in your own home, and I got a little overly excited. I actually contemplated making the party hats for the party, and even making a special one for Aeralyn. Then I immediately reminded myself of how much I hate Martha Stewart and that the party hats that I would spend hours making would get demolished after only a few seconds. Atleast I still have a small shred of my sanity.

I've been searching the internet for party ideas non-stop, and I've even found a dress for her to wear for the big day. I've been to the local party store to scope out what they have to offer, and I've set the date. I'm overly excited about it, until I actually sit down and think about my baby turning one. It is so hard to believe that she will be a year old soon. A toddler, not a baby.

I think all this party planning is a sub-concious way of keeping my mind off of my little girl growing up so fast.

So, who has party ideas?





Labels: ,



8 Comments:

Blogger Alicia said...

If you're looking for my opinion, I don't have one for ya... except why don't you tell the rest of the world what your theme is for the party.

As for Kyra's first birthday, I did the exact opposite... I didn't plan a big party because I didn't want her to grow up. It was over whelming enough for me to have her turn one, much less have to think of themes and decorations.

We celebrated her day with shots (i know, i'm mean and scheduled her 12 month check up on her first birthday)then a picture taking session at the photo studio, and then it was home for cake and ice cream with a few family and friends.

The most important thing for me was to have her picture taken on that day, in her party dress, so I could have it to remember. Oh, and to make her cake, which I didn't get to do because my mother took it over... to which I cried for half an hour on my husbands shoulder because I didn't get to mix the batter. I share that only to let you know what kind of silly emotions you might have on that day.

Good luck!

Blogger Beverly said...

I agree about the birthday pictures...they have to be done that day, in a party dress!

The rest of the party will be memorable if you just make it fun. Don't fuss too much about hats and decorations. Spend most of your planning time on food, music, and inviting lots and lots of friends and family!

Blogger Lindsey said...

Well, I just want you to know that ever since you mentioned the party a few weeks ago at breakfast, I have also been excited about it. You mentioned that it was going to be a luau, so I had an Oriental Trading catalog mailed to me - they have lots of cheap luau and party stuff. I can't wait for the party! Please tell me that it is still a luau theme, because I really want to wear a grass skirt.

Blogger Heather said...

I'm definitely doing the pictures in the party dress!!

I haven't quite decided on the theme yet, but I'm looking at a few. I was going to go with a Luau theme and do a pool party...but I decided against that. I'll have to make another post showing all of you my choices for party themes and get you to help me pick.

Beverly, I hadn't even thought about music! LOL! Thanks for mentioning that. And I'm still trying to decide on the food...So much work!!

Blogger Heather said...

We were making our comments at the same time Lindsey LOL! I don't think it's going to be a Luau theme anymore...only because I've been doing alot of searching and I've found alot of "First Birthday" related stuff, none of it being Luau. I figured this is the only time I will get to do her first party, so I can do the luau anytime. But you are still more than welcome to wear the grass skirt! =)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

osnHey girls, my suggestions are to definately do the 1st birthday pictures ( remember Bobbie's?), I'll even pay for them. And, have her a cake of her own to tear into. Some bakeries will decorate a small one to match the big one just for the child to play in. Last but not least, take LOTS! of pictures. Keep scrapbook in mind. Love y'all!

Blogger Jessica said...

You're not the only one thinking about this....it's consumed me lately thinking about D's. (His is in Sept also). I want it to be absolutely perfect.....he only gets to turn 1 once. If only we didn't have such a big family to think about... *sigh*.

I'm glad you're deciding to do a party for her. Take tons of pictures so you'll have them to show her. Take my advice, (coming from a kid who was #2) the pictures will be priceless. My mom and dad didn't take many because I was the 2nd child, and I always kind of felt bad about it.

If I had the time, I'd be feeling the same exact way you are right now!

And I agree about them growing up fast...where has the time gone?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, not sure what advice to give you on that party thing at all. Kira's 1st was just a small shindig with the close, important family members present. And she was teething up a storm so she was insanely cranky anyway.

Mostly I just wanted her cake to come out perfectly (which it didn't but oh well) as well as having a party dress, and for her to have lots of fun with her favourite people and new toys. (She did)

I'm already thinking about bday #2, and wondering what we'll end up doing and it's not until Feb next year. :\

Good luck though and I'm really interested to hear what you decide on!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer