Sunday, October 01, 2006
Month One
Dear Tatertot:

Today you are one month old, and I can hardly believe it. This has quite possibly been the shortest month of my life, especially when I compare it to last month, which was probably the longest waiting for your arrival. Your daddy and I have had so much fun getting to know you these past 4 weeks, and it was instant love the frst time I saw you. You are perfect in every way. Here are some things I have learned about you this month:

You hate being swaddled. No, you seriously hate it. You tolerated it while we were in the hospital, but as soon as we got home you decided you were not putting up with that nonsense any longer. In fact, you don't like covers on your body at all. Period. You are perfectly content to hang out in your onesie all day, and I promise I won't put you in footie pajamas again for a very long time. Atleast until it gets cold outside. I apologize for the severe dismay that those cute little jammies caused you.

You love to take a bath. In fact, it is one of the only ways we can get you to calm down in the afternoon. You see, we need to talk about something. Every afternoon, you go through these little crying spells, and you want to nurse constantly. This is no fun for anyone, especially mommy. These crying spells last anywhere from one (if I'm lucky) to five hours at a time. Please get happier in the afternoon. Please, for all our sakes.

You decided the day that we came home from the hospital that sleep is not your thing. Well, I take that back. You do sleep rather well at night, but only when I'm holding you. When I try to put you in the bassinet, you act like I'm throwing you into the burning pits of hell. Trust me, the bassinet is a very nice place, and I'm hoping you two will become good friends soon. And daytime naps? You see no need for those whatsoever. I think you are too afraid you are going to miss something fun and exciting. Let me be the first to tell you that NOTHING fun and exciting is going to happen while you are sleeping, so please, sleep away little one. Unless you count doing a load of laundry or unloading the dishwasher as fun and exciting.

You also are not a big fan of the pacifier. It's pretty funny how you look like I just poured motor oil in your mouth when I try to give it to you. The only person who has been able to get you to take it so far is Papa, and he has to hold it the entire time to keep you from spitting it out, which defeats the whole purpose if you ask me. I personally think you are going to be a thumb sucker just like your mommy. That is, as soon as you can figure out how to get it in your mouth.

You never cease to amaze us at how well you can hold up your head. The nurses in the operating room couldn't believe how well you were holding your head up right after you were born. Your daddy and I think this means you are going to be a genius. Don't dissapoint us, okay? Actually, I'm a little terrified about what this might actually mean. If you can already hold your head up now, does this mean that you will sit up, crawl, and walk earlier? I'm not sure I'm ready for such things anytime soon.

You cried you first ever real live wet tears this week, and my heart broke into several thousand pieces. Let's not make that a habit because mommy cannot handle it.

You have gained almost two pounds this month, and you grew one and a half inches longer. You are getting stronger and more alert every day. This week you have really started making eye contact, and you will even smile at us on occasion. Your daddy has figured out that blowing in your face amuses you for a few minutes, and will sometimes make you laugh. He now does this many times a day. Thanks for humoring him.

Your daddy and I love to just sit and look at you. We can't believe we created something so beautiful and perfect, and we are so in love.

And then, there were three.

I love you miss priss, more than anything in the world.
Mama


Labels: ,



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw! That is so sweet, Heather. I hope you are saving these in a scrapbook somewhere. I'm sure she will enjoy reading them for herself one day.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer