Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Sleep
Today, Aeralyn and I took a little trip. To the mall that is. All by ourselves. And everyone in the land applauded because this was the very first trip to the mall that we made together all by ourselves. And it only took ten short months! Oh sure, I've been to the mall in the past ten months, and so has Aeralyn. We've both also been there at the same time as one another, but with reinforcements known as either Gammie or Daddy.

But, today called for something a little different considering that Gammie had surgery on Monday and isn't quite up for mall shopping. And daddy has this annoying habit of working on the weekdays, so we had to go alone. Surprisingly, everything went perfect. No major catastrophes, and I actually got what I went for without spending 10 trillion extra dollars on cute clothes, etc. Astonishing.



We took that trip this morning because I was on a mission. A mission to finally get some sleep, that is. And what could I possibly buy at the mall to help me get some sleep? A lovely book called The way to get your spoiled rotten child who wakes up every two hours at night to sleep through the night without screaming her head off The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley.

I've been doing some research, and I've found alot of great reviews on this book. And I'm desperate. I was so excited about getting this book that I had to keep it in the trunk on the way home to keep myself from reading it while I was driving. You're welcome.

I know some of you are really surprised that my ten month old child is not even close to sleeping through the night. Then again, some of you may be reading this and saying "Thank GOD I'm not the only one." Aeralyn has never slept through the night. Not one time in her little ten month life. Consequently, this means that I haven't slept through the night in even longer than that considering I didn't sleep hardly at all through the entire last trimester of my pregnancy. I've tried to remedy this situation. Oh, have I tried! But nothing has helped yet. I've tried the "cry it out" method, and that did not work for us. At. All. And I will never try it again. If it's worked for you, I am so happy, but it is definitely not for me. That is why the title of this book really drew me in. So far, I am excited about everything I've read, except for the part where she says I need to be on a schedule.

Crap.

I'm not a schedule person. I never do anything at the same time every day, so that means Aeralyn doesn't either. And now I totally see that that may be her problem. So I'm going to give it all a try. I'm going to start tonight with her suggestions and I will see how it goes. She recommends keeping a log of Aeralyn's night wakings, so I may post them here with the risk of boring you all completely to death. But atleast I'll have them saved so I can look back at them.

Wish me luck!

Labels: , ,



2 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

I have that same annoying habit as Aaron...

Good luck with everything!

Blogger Jessica said...

I have to admit, once Dylan was on a schedule, things got much better. It's something about them knowing what to expect next...hopefully after a few days, she falls right into a routine, and starts sleeping. I guess I didn't realize that she was up that often in the middle of the night. I'd probably be in a corner of my room sobbing right now if D did that. You are strong girl!

But seriously, I do hope this finally works for you guys. Do you put Aeralyn down awake? Do you feed her when she's up? There's something about them being able to soothe themselves back to sleep, and falling asleep without being rocked, etc allows them to learn that. I don't know if that's in that book or not, but it's worth a try. Once they learn that, even if they wake up in the middle of the night, they usually fall back asleep. Heck, D's even learned to pop his own pacifier back in his mouth! Finally! lol!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you! Update us with your progress. I'm anxious to hear how it goes.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer