Tuesday, February 21, 2006
#7 from previous journal
Well, I went to the Perinatologist for genetic counseling yesterday. It was kind of a wasted trip because my doctors office forgot to mention to them about my mom's disease, so when I got there, they had no idea about it. And then when the peri. found out what it was, she said that they could do nothing for me there, but she would make me an appointment with the Cancer Institute for genetic counseling. So now I have to go through all this again...but I'm glad to be finding out more about this disease. Basically the doctor told me that I had a fifty-fifty chance of inheriting the disease from my mom, and if I had inherited it, that there was a fifty-fifty chance that my children could inherit it. The only way to find out if I have inherited it or not is through genetic testing. If insurance will pay for it, then I will go ahead and have it done so I will know for sure, but if not then I don't think we can afford to do it because it is so expensive. I will just have to keep up the annual thourough eye exams, cat scans and all the other tests so they can look for signs of the disease. I should be getting a cal back from the doctors office by tomorrow with my new appointment. I will keep everyone posted!!

Labels:



footer